Losing the citizenship of Lithuania
Legal norms of Lithuania provide the possible cases of losing the citizenship of Lithuania by a person.
A person shall lose the citizenship of Lithuania:
1. If the person acquires the citizenship of another state and no circumstances provide him (her) a right for dual citizenship;
2. If the person renounces the citizenship of Lithuania;
3. If the person had acquired the citizenship of Lithuania by deception;
4. If any circumstances making the person not eligible to granting or reistatement of the citizenship of Lithuania (including the lost citizenship) are disclosed;
5. If it is found that the decision on granting the citizenship of Lithuania was passed in violation of legal norms;
6. If a person in the age of 21 years failed renouncing one of the citizenships;
7. If a citizen of Lithuania is engaged in service of a foreign state without a permission of the Government of Lithuania;
8. In cases provided by international treaties of Lithuania.
If a person acquires the citizenship of another state, he (she) shall lose the citizenship of Lithuania from the date of acquisition of the citizenship of the said state. If a person acquires the citizenship of another state, he (she) shall inform in writing the Migration Department, a Migration Service or a diplomatic mission or a consular institution of Lithuania abroad on the acquisition of the citizenship of the said state.
The notice on the acquisition of the citizenship of the said state shall be provided in Lithuanian. If the documents enclosed to the notice are executed in a language other than Lithuanian, they shall be translated into Lithuanian. Copies of the documents shall be notarized. Documents issued by institutions of foreign states shall be certified by Apostille or legalized, unless otherwise is provided by international treaties of Lithuania or legal norms of the European Union.
A person shall enclose the following documents to the notice on the acquisition of the citizenship of another state:
1. A copy of the passport of a citizen of Lithuania;
2. Documents certifying the acquisition of the citizenship of another state;
3. Documents certifying an eligibility of the person to being simultaneously a citizen of Lithuania and a citizen of another state (only in a case of existence of circumstances that entitle the person to have a dual citizenship according to legal norms of Lithuania.
Legal norms of Lithuania provide the cases when a citizen of Lithuania can be simultaneously a citizen of a foreign state:
1. If a person had acquired the citizenship of Lithuania at birth;
2. If a person was deported from Lithuania or is a descendant of a deportee;
3. If a person left Lithuania prior to 11 March 1990 or is a descendant of such a person;
4. In case of child adoption, if the person is under 21 years;
5. If a person had acquired the citizenship of another state automatically on registering a marriage with a citizen of another state.
The Migration Department shall examine the submitted documents on acquisition of the citizenship of another state by a person and transfer them to the Minister of Interior no later than within 3 months from the date of their submission.
If you have any questions regarding Lithuanian citizenship or should you require more information or help, please contact us by e-mail email@example.com or tel. + 370 6 1861886. We will gladly help you.